This article helps you fix if while installing skype messenger you get this error message:
you already have a download started, make sure SkypeSetup.exe is removed to continue(code 1618)
1. Simply restart your computer twice. It should solve the problem itself.
2. If restart does not fix the issue, then try editing registry keys values:
- Goto: start -> run and type: regedit
- browse to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress
- clean / delete any registry entries that you find there.
- again navigate to: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations
- and clean / delete all registry values your find there too.
This should solve the problem with skype installation that skypesetup.exe is removed etc.
Update: This method also solves the issue: (Thanks to user SzG)
You have update(s), which stucked in.
properties->set startup Type to [b]Disabled[/b].
after reboot there will be a message: The windows installer cant start, blah…blah… Click OK, and the stucked updates will finish.
Before reboot, Control Panel->AdministrativeTools->Services-> WindowsInstaller-> properties->set startup Type to [b]Manual[/b].
The updates will finish. Try install skype.
It worked for me under Vista.