Dev team released PwnageTool 3.13 recently which can be used to unlock/jailbreak/upgrade iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G to the latest version of firmware , 3.1 without altering the baseband of the iPhone 3GS or iPod 2G.
Please note, this method will work on iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G which currently don’t have the new firmware 3.1 and are running any previous version of the firmware, like 3.0 or 3.0.1. It will not work for the iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G users who got their iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G with the firmware 3.1 out of the box. Please make sure about your current version of firmware, and proceed at your own risk!
Backup your iPhone 3GS / iPod 2G with iTunes before trying this. Follow this to upgrade/ unlock/ jailbreak your iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G to firmware 3.1 with PwnageTool 3.13:
- Download the Pwnage Tool 3.13 for Mac OS X from: (
thePirateBay(link not working: http://drop.io/devteamtorrent/asset/pwnagetool-3-1-3-dmg-5107931-tpb-torrent ) | Alternate(link not working: http://drop.io/devteamtorrent/asset/pwnagetool-3-1-3-dmg-5107931-tpb-torrent) )
- Make sure that you have the iTunes version 9 before attempting to unlock your iPhone 3GS / iPod 2G. Firmware 3.1 is only compatible with the new iTunes 9.
- Run the PwnageTool 3.13 and select iPhone 3GS from the selection options and click next.
- Select the Firmware 3.1 with build iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144 and click next.
- On next page, click next, then, click No. Now the ‘Building IPSW’ will start.
- Once its completed, click Yes to the prompt and then click next.
- Open iTunes 9 and click Restore ( while holding the Option key). It will ask you to select a file. Select the newly created custom 3.1 IPSW by PwnageTool 3.13 from its location (probably desktop). Make sure that it asks you to select the file. If it doesn’t, immediately stop the process, and / or unplug your iPhone 3GS / iPod 2G from the computer / macbook.
Once the custom firmware 3.1 restore is complete, your iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G now has been successfully updated to the iPhone firmware 3.1 while preserving the baseband.
Next step is to unlock your iPhone 3GS with Ultrasn0w.
Note: This method will only work for the iPhone 3GS and at no point are you supposed to ‘Update’ to a newer firmware in iTunes, only use ‘Restore’ (optin + restore). The method we used follows the Simple mode in PwnageTool 3.1.3.