There are numerous accounts of Facebook accounts being hacked and misused. Facebook provides you an option to add mobile text verification to your account to enhance its security. Facebook calls it “Login Approvals” which asks user to verify it’s authority on the account before logging in.
How it works:
Once the mobile text verification for facebook has been setup, it will work like this on your login:
1. you goto facebook.com and login with your id and password
2. facebook stops the login process in between and sends a text to your mobile number with a security text or pin.
3. you enter that pin on that facebook page and continue with the login.
So this way, only the person who has access to that mobile phone number or sim can login to your account.
Make sure that the mobile number which you’re giving to be used for this purpose of text verification by facebook is yours and is in your own name. Because there is no way to login to your account if you lose access to your mobile number!
How to setup Facebook Mobile text verification / Login Approvals
1. Login to your facebook profile
2. make sure that the number you want to add is in your own name, so that if you miss the sim or some issue arises, you can get the new sim card yourself.
3. Goto your facebook profile, top right corner is a “lock” icon next to home , friend requests, messages, notification, click on it
4. On this popup, click “See More Settings” to goto the main settings page
5. On settings page, left menu, click “Security”. On the security settings page, we have to do three things. Turn on Login notifications, login approvals and clear the Trusted browsers list and start from new browser.
6. First of all we setup Login Approvals, hover (take mouse over) Login approvals and click on it (or the edit button link which appears). It lets you use your phone as an extra layer of security to keep other people from logging into.
7. Click login Approvals will open a popup which will explain you how to proceed with setting up login approvals. Please note this is “one” thing we’re doing here, we have to make 2 more changes once login approvals are set up.
8. One login approvals are setup, we have to setup login notifications on the same security settings page. Click on Login Notifications and turn on mobile / text notifications (and email if you want to) and save changes.
9 Now on the same page, second last option, click on “Trusted Browsers”. It will open the list of all the browsers that are saved with Facebook Server. Remove “ALL” of them. This is very important step otherwise those people who logged in once from your computer will be able to access it again without login approvals.
10. Done, once removed them and security setup on the correct number and verified, your account is now much much secure than it was before!