Waiting for the RedSn0w to offer you to unlock / jailbreak your iPhone 2G/3G phone (on windows)? Well, then stop waiting, good news is that all windows users can now unlock/jailbreak their iphone 2g/3g to firmware version 3.1 (or upgrade to firmware 3.1 from previous versions).
Although dev team released PwnageTool 3.1 to upgrade iPhone to firmware 3.1, but the fact is that it can only be used by Mac users, not the windows one. So here is how the windows (xp,vista, seven) users can upgrade their iPhone firmware version to 3.1.
In the following method, you will be using a custom IPSW for firmware 3.1 on iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G which allows the users to update the firmware version without having to alter/meddle the baseband of the phone. This firmware has the stock Apple logo and will also include Cydia in it. All you have to do is to download the file below, and use it to restore your iPhone software, instead of the default one.
For the iPhone 3G
Download the custom IPSW of the Firmware 3.1 for iPhone 3G using the following download links labeled
After the download, join the parts of the file using the utility HJSplit and extract the zip archive to get one file. Once the download and extraction of the custom IPSW of the firmware 3.1 for iPhone 3G is complete and successful, follow these steps to update your iPhone 3G to the latest 3.1 version of the iPhone firmware version 3.1
- Download and install iTunes 9 and then run it. Iphone firmware 3.1 needs iTunes 9
- Connect your iPhone 3G to the computer running windows/mac
- Click on Restore while holding SHIFT key. This will open a window to select the file to use for restore. Browse and select the custom IPSW that you downloaded. Please note, holding down the SHIFT key while clicking on restore, otherwise it will upgrade from the Apple server and you will might end up in bad situation, including losing your cell. If you by mistake start the restore without clicking shift key, simply cancel it, or disconnect / remove your iPhone 3G from the usb port to stop/interrupt the restore process and start it again properly.
- Once every thing is done successfully, and the new OS boots up on your iPhone 3G, install ultrasn0w to unlock it. (next step)
- Run Cydia in your iPhone to install Untrasn0w
- Add repository / source : repo666.ultrasn0w.com (zero, not oooo)
- Search for Ultrasn0w in the packages list and install it.
- Restart your iPhone and insert your sim to check if its working fine now on for your network.
Now you have successfully jainbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G running on Firmware 3.1.
For the iPhone 2G
Download the following files from the download link labeled iPhone1,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore, having custom IPSW of Firmware 3.1 for iPhone 2G.
Once you have downloaded the files successfully, join the file parts using HJSplit and extract the ZIP archive to have a single file. Now follow the steps.
- Download and install iTunes 9, and run it, as iPhone 2G firmware 3.1 upgrade also needs iTunes 9.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer / PC.
- Click Restore while holding SHIFT key and select the custom IPSW that you downloaded above and extracted to single zip file. Please note to hold the shift key while clicking on restore button, so that it open a window and asks you to browse to select the file to use as the IPSW file for iPhone 2G Firmware 3.1 upgrade. If you by mistake press restore without holding down the shift key, simply cancel the process or remove the iphone cable from the computer, stopping the restore process.
Iphone 2G don’t need ultrasn0w, so now you are done with every thing needed to update your iPhone 2G to Firmware 3.1
Mac users can also use the same process and the same IPSW for their respective iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G to upgrade it from Mac without having to use the PwnageTools
Note: If you have difficulty in downloading the files, or need torrent links, then do let me know.