A friend of mine bought a TP-Link WR740N wireless router recently but was confused about his tp link router setting that how to configure it on local PTCL broadband in Pakistan. Here is simple guide which will work with any other network in other countries too hopefully.
If you want to configure your tp-link wr740n wireless network, simply follow this tutorial. Please let me know through comments if you feel any difficulty while configuring it.
Before we start tp link router setting, make sure:
- If you have already tried configuring the router, reset it to default tp link router settings so that we start from scratch
- you have ptcl adsl / broadband modem connected and verified that it is working properly (or any other company’s connection which you’re using)
1. Connect the adsl modem and the wireless tp-link router
First step is to connect the two devices, the wireless router and the modem in such a way that the wire coming from the dsl modem goes into the WAN port (blue one) on the tp-link wr740n wireless router.
2. Connect the wireless router to computer
Connect the wireless router to the computer using the LAN wire. Don’t plug the wire in the WAN (blue color) port on the wireless router, instead insert it in any one of the available four ports on the wifi router.
3. Login to tp link router admin panel
To configure the router, open this ip in your browser window to goto the tp link router admin panel:
Login to the admin panel by using:
4. Change the tp link router router IP address
Goto (in left menu) Network > LAN
and change the IP Address from
Now you need to reopen the router configuration page by going to 192.168.0.1 in your browser window
5. Configure WAN setup
In the left menu, click on Network > WAN
On the WAN settings page, change WAN Connection Type: to Dynamic (or you can press Detect button in front of WAN connection type too to auto detect the type if it is different from Dynamic)
Once done, click on Renew button below, on the same page to get the IP Address, subnet mask and default gateway and click Save.
6. Setup tp link router password
It’s recommended to secure your network (unless it is supposed to be a public network)
Goto (in left menu): Wireless > Wireless Security
On that page, goto the end of the page and select WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, and add a 8 digit password in the password field and click save.
7. Restart after saving tp link router settings
It’s recommended to restart your tp-link wr740n router after finishing the wireless configuration and then start using the wifi connection.